Soundtrack of My LifeThe assignment - (Start with significant events in your life and give them a song - explain the connection between the two.)
1. Life's A Dance - John Michael Montgomery - Having my first real job at the Warren Theater. Being out of the Andale High School microcosm and in the real world. Experiencing what it was like to be more than just a wallflower or drama/band geek because I worked there without preconceptions. "You learn as you go... sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"
2. The Reason - Hoobastank - Junior year of High School was a turning point in my Mom's and my relationship. Everything from that point on got lots better until we truly were best friends. "I've found a reason to show a side of me you didn't know."
3. This Magic Moment - The Drifters - Finally getting my first kiss when I was 17... in a little park, under a semi-cloudy but bright-mooned sky with a boy I had a major crush on. Seriously dreamy. "This magic moment... so different and so new."
4. I'll Be - Edwin McCain - Experiencing First Love . This song was actually "our song," but it so wonderfully expresses that feeling that comes with first love. Being completely enamored with an awesome (though somewhat silly) boy who was equally enamored with me. Hearing and saying "I love you" for the first time. The notion that we would be high school sweethearts who would be together forever. "I'll be the greatest fan of your life."
5. Lady in Red - Chris De Burgh - Senior Prom. I'm not sure why this song applies here other than I had an awesome red dress for senior prom. It was a super memorable night when the aforementioned first-love and I were the first couple on the dance floor (after much coaxing from him). Plus a super awesome brunch with a ton of our friends afterwards. Just a great night! "Lady in red is dancing with me, Cheek to cheek. There’s nobody here... It’s just you and me. It’s where I wanna be"
6. I Hope You Dance - LeAnn Womack - Losing my cousin Zack to cancer. This song was popular the summer Zack passed away, and it always made me cry. But more than that, Zack's terrible battle with cancer for 2 years taught me to seize every moment. I learned to go back to KU my sophomore year and actually EXPERIENCE college life and all the fun and excitement it would bring. I learned to "dance". "Don't ever fear those mountains in the distance. Don't ever settle for the path of least resistance."
7. Just Like a Pill - Pink - The Rebelliousness stages of college. There were many moments in college beginning about halfway through my sophomore year, when I just decided that being the practical good girl wasn't always so fun. So I dated some interesting guys. Flirted with the wild side of life just a little bit. And usually ended up realizing, I didn't really like being that person for very long. "And I swear you're just like a pill. Instead of makin' me better, you keep makin' me ill. You keep makin' me ill."
8. For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield - March for Life trips with the KU crew. While coordinating the M4L trip from KU for two years was an extremely important and life changing part of my life, I couldn't quite come up with a song that expressed all of the feelings I encountered on those trips and in all of my college career spent "Working for Life". But I like this song because of the following lyrics. "Young people speakin their minds... getting so much resistance from behind. I think it's time we STOP, hey what's that sound? Everybody look what's goin down."
9. Refiner's Fire - The 3-4 years I spent discerning my vocation. It wasn't always easy to consider being a nun. In fact there were lots of times of tears and awe and heartache and wonder. But it was totally the Refiner's Fire shaping me into the woman I would become. Thanks be to God for that. "Refiner's Fire. My heart's one desire is to be holy. Set apart for you Lord. I want to be holy. Ready to do your will."
10. Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me - Keith Urban - Days in the Daisy House. So much of this part of my life I remember as joyful and silly and fun. This song just expresses all those things that Kim and Lisa and all of our Daisy friends enjoyed! The crazy parties, the awesome roadtrips, the new friends, the ministry that became our life - what a gift! "I got the ones I love beside me, my troubles behind me. I'm alive and I'm free... who wouldn't wanna be me."
11. I Believe In Miracles - Hot Chocolate - Meeting Andrew. Andrew thought it was funny that this was the song I picked for him. But it felt like a miracle when he strolled into my life. It took me by surprise and made me happy and this is a silly song that expresses that. "Where did you come from, angel... How did you know I'd be the one... Did you know you're everything i prayed for? Did you know every night and day for."
12. I Can Only Imagine - Mercy Me - Our Wedding. I suppose this seems like a weird song for my wedding day. It's not a romantic song or even a song about relationship with other humans. But it's a song about what heaven will be like. And our wedding day was the closest to heaven I've ever been. As Fr. Jarrod said the day after our wedding in his homily at Sunday Mass, "What a beautiful example we have witnessed of what the heavenly banquet will be like." All of our awesome friends so happy and excited and having fun. It was like a dream. It was beyond imagination. "I can only imagine... when that day comes... and I find myself, standing in the Son."
13. With Arms Wide Open - Creed - Mia's birth. How amazing it was to experience the joy of becoming parents for the first time. Suddenly being able to hold the tiny being that had leapt in my womb for so many months. And then realizing that we were now responsible for another's life... growth... future. AMAZING. "Welcome to this place, I'll show you everything. With arms wide open."
14. Danny's Song - Anne Murray - Just Being Married. We were so quickly pregnant after becoming married, that we didn't really get to see or experience the fruits of marriage until a couple of years in. But this song describes the simplicity of love that Andrew and I share... and how I really think all we need is each other. "Even though we ain't got money, I'm so in love with ya honey and everything will bring a chain of love. In the morning when I rise, you bring a tear of joy to my eyes... you tell me everything's gonna be alright."
15. Turn, Turn, Turn - The Byrds - Our terrible car accident in 2007. This was one of those moments in life when you realize how precious every minute is. Knowing that if we had arrived 1 second earlier at the intersection, it's likely I would not have survived the crash... or at least been in MUCH worse shape that I was, really taught me to trust more, to enjoy more, and to love more. And though I still struggle, it's a moment I can go back to and remember what I felt and thought. There is truly a season in life for everything, but it's important to remember the meaning behind it all. "To everything... turn turn turn, there is a season... turn turn turn, And a time to every purpose under heaven."
16. We are the Champions - Queen - Vince's birth. There's no other way to express how I felt after going through a natural, unmedicated birth (all by researching how to do it on the internet) than the feeling I think runners must have when they complete a marathon. I felt so accomplished. So humbled. So in awe of the thing I was capable of. "We Are the Champions my friend. And We'll keep on fighting til the end."
When I first read Lisa's soundtrack, I thought I would never take the time to write my own... but this was SUPER DUPER FUN! So I challenge you to write yours as well!